US Special Forces Kill Top Al-Qaeda Leader Al-Zarqawi
Posted by Admin on June 8, 2006
Abu Musab al-Zarqawi has been killed along with 7 of his aides (FoxNews). He was in Baquba, Iraq when a land operation with air support was carried out by United States Special Forces, along with the US and Jordanian intelligence communities. al-Zarqawi was reportedly presiding over a meeting when they arrived. His death reportedly occurred at around 7pm local Iraq time, June 7, 2006.
A high ranking Jordanian official reportedly told the Daily Star;
"He died 10 minutes after the operation, along with eight to 10 of his partisans,"
Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki announced al-Zarqawi's death on Iraq television and around the world at a press conference also attended by US top commander in Iraq General George Casey. During the press conference Prime Minister Maliki had this to say;
"This is a message to those who choose the path of violence to change their direction before it is too late. I thank our forces, our police and the multinational forces for what they are doing in pursuing the terrorists."
– "Zarqawi killed in joint US-Jordanian operation"
The Daily Star – June 8, 2006 – by Agence French Presse (AFP)
Zarqawi's death marks a "great success", he said, but cautioned that it will not end violence in the country.
– Zalmay Khalilzad, U.S. Ambassador to Iraq
"We will continue confronting whoever follows his path. It is an open war between us."
– Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki
"This is a very important victory for the people of Iraq. He was the evil of terrorism. He was responsible for the deaths of many people in Iraq. Having him killed is a very important achievement for us. We are strongly determined to root out the remaining al Qaeda people. (…)"
– Iraqi Deputy Prime Minister Barham Salih
In related news, the Herald Sun is reporting that oil has fallen 1.7 percent to below $70US per barrel for the first time in 2 weeks following reports of Zarqawi's death.
RELATED NEWS ARTICLES:
- Zarqawi killed in joint US-Jordanian operation
– The Daily Star, 6/8/06
- Abu Musab Al-Zarqawi Dies in Bombing Attack
– FOXNews.com, US 6/8/06
- Zarqawi: The man behind bloodiest suicide attacks
– Hindustan Times, India 6/8/06
- Oil below $US70 on Zarqawi death
– Herald Sun, Australia – 6/8/06
- Zarqawi's Death Could Halt Insurgency
– The Life Style Extra, UK – 6/8/06
- Fingerprints, facial recognition help identify al-Zarqawi's body
– eitb24, Spain – 6/8/06
- World reacts to al-Zarqawi death
– CNN.com, US – 6/8/06 – 0944 GMT
More to come as it becomes available. Bookmark this post for future updates.